
With the ABC students gone for the summer (i.e. "winter") months, Sarah and I are hitting the ABC Library project hard. ABC's new full time librarian (recent graduate Lifton Square) started in early June and he, along with 2 other students hired on for the summer, are working with the Hanlons to get the library restoration underway.

The process starts with getting every book off of every book shelf and stacking them on tables all around the library by category. Taking the books down is the easy part - trying to find categories for each one is the challenge. I walked into the library one day last week to find a whole section of books on "Astropology" (which, as far as I know, is a subject that doesn't exist).

While that is going on, someone else will go from shelf to shelf scrubbing off many, many year of African-grade dust. I had a couple rough nights last week as I coughed the dust out of my lungs. Once every book gets sorted we will begin putting them back on the shelf by category. We are using 3x5 notecards taped to the shelves for now.

Sarah is working on getting the brand new lap top computer and software up and running for it to become the new library check-out system. When it is completed the whole library will be catalogued by computer and each book will be bar coded and a scanner will check it in and out of the library.
On behalf of all the students who will benefit from all the new books, the new check-out system, and all the new improvements - "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!".
No comments:
Post a Comment