Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Simplify


One of the romantic fantasies of living in Africa is that you get away from the ‘hustle and bustle’ of Western life and enjoy a quieter, simpler, quainter way of life.  Along with this fantasy come notions of living off the land; going to bed with the setting sun; making your business deals on a handshake; having your days be more about who you connect with than what you accomplish.
 
It’s a nice fantasy and, in fact, little pieces of it are true to life (e.g. you can buy strawberries from a guy standing on the side of the road and, if the generator is not running, all will be dark after sunset) but, for the most part, "simple" has less to do with what's happening around you and more to do with the state of your own spirit.   

Yesterday I got one step closer to purchasing an automobile for us to use while we are here.  The salesman was kind enough to drive to the ABC campus to update me on the status of the registration.  He told me that when he went to the “traffic office” (the Malawian version of the DMV) my paperwork was rejected because they would not accept a black and white copy of my passport – it needed to be in color.  So the salesman paid me a visit and I set about trying to find a color copier.  The school’s color copier was out of red and yellow ink so I was only able to get a blue, smudgy copy.  This would not do so the salesman suggested that I find someone to scan my passport in color, then email me the scan so I can then email him the scan so he can then copy the scan at his office and take it to the DMV.  Mind you this is to accomplish just one of the seven (7) certifications that a car must go through.  As the salesman was waiting for all this to happen he saw the strawberries sitting on our counter.  He inquired politely, “Do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for those?”  Knowing full well what was coming I sheepishly said, “500 Kwatcha” (or a little less than $3).  He smiled just enough for my curiosity to once again get the better of me.  I asked him, “Okay – how much would you have paid?”  He responded, “50 Kwatcha on a normal day.”  I didn’t have the heart to tell him that my negotiations started at 700 Kwatcha. 

I’ve always longed for a “simpler” life.  By simple I’m talking about uncomplicated, untangled, and straightforward.  But the reality is, I’m just as capable of being “tangled” in Lilongwe, Malawi as I am in Metrowest, Massachusetts.  My friend Brian and I have gone around and around for years talking (and at times arguing) about different elements of technology and how they can both help us (functionally) and also hinder us (relationally).  As a former full-time pastor I loved having power point, conferences via satellite, and all of my commentaries on my computer and yet, at the same time that I despised watching family interactions reduced to text messages, careers and hobbies crowding out time for genuine community, not to mention the worst of all – cell phones ringing during services.

I’d really like to learn the meaning of 1 Thessalonians 4:11  Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands…”  Technology will always have its place I’m sure.  Life situations, from registering a car to purchasing strawberries, may never be completely straightforward.  But the simple life I long for cannot be driven by circumstances around me.  It has to emanate from within and that means it’s something that I (and the Holy Spirit) need to cultivate in rhythm together. 

Easier said than done – I know.  But if I can do “all things through Christ who gives me strength” I’d like to add this to the list of “all things”.   Now I’m off to a meeting.

1 comment:

  1. How funny that simplification is hard to attain anywhere you go. The clutter and crowd just comes wrapped in different paper.
    I like the Thessalonians verse. I would love to mind my own "business" and only work with my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete