I wonder why this is? Why is it so hard to let other people do things for us? Is it pride saying, "we should be doing this for ourselves"? Is it out-of-control independence? Is it an occupational hazard? Whatever it is - God is choosing to address it in the Hanlon family.
And that's when it started. We were furniture-less, bed-less, dog-less, and finally, home-less - and we were either going to have to learn how to receive from other people or ask our church Elders if they wouldn't mind us sleeping in the youth group room. Of course this didn't take us by surprise. People had been asking for months if they could help with "this" or with "that". We had to learn the grace of receiving from others as they sought to make our final days here ones that would be comfortable and even fun. Our close friends, Brian and Allison Vance (joyfully captured to the left) set up a weekend excursion with us on Cape Cod for the extended Memorial Day holiday. Our wonderful friends Nate and Naomi Dishington opened up their home for us to move in for the entire month of June. It came in the form of a surprise gift from loved ones for us to get away as a family overnight when tensions were high. Iris Joho and Pha Skinner made themselves available to watch our kids while we packed and even at times just so Sarah and I could get a night "off". Each of these things (and many more) came pouring in faster than we could ever imagine and we were forced to learn the grace of receiving.
I think sometimes that it's the unexpected lessons that can mean the most. The ones where you weren't on the lookout for a "growth area" to creep up on you. Receiving grace from other people is new territory for us and we're far from being "experts" at it. Our instinct is to try and "pay people back" or "even the score" somehow. But what that ends up doing is robbing the gift from being what it was intended to be ........ grace. Unmerited, undeserved, and unexpected. Thank God for grace.
Hi Bruce & Sarah: May God bless you and the whole family. Be Safe and enjoy the Lord in your work.
ReplyDeleteLove
Bob & Armande
OMG I had no idea you guys were giving up your house already!! If you need anything let me and Rob know. We got a king-size sleep number upstairs that could have your name on it! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the new family photo!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful blog posting Sarah and Bruce!
ReplyDeleteI pray that your joy continues to be made full each day and you open yourselves up to receiving all the "unmerited, undeserved, and unexpected" grace that God has for you individually and as a family! Smiling right now... I also pray for mutual "Grace" between the professor and student...cause each knows that God's love is omnipotent and each chooses to walk in it. I have joy-tears right now...wow. I didn't cry when you both shared what God was confirming to you...but I have joy-tears right now. I will be praying for your family, our brothers and sisters in Malawi and for those that will come to the saving grace of Jesus Christ.
Love,
Lisa Kirkland
P.S. I agree with Allison, what a lovely family portrait! Have a bright journey Bruce, Sarah, Grace, and Beth!
2 Timothy 4:19 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.
ReplyDeleteYou all will be so very missed. Our prayers are with you as you go forth and He works through you.
Shalom,
The Bowen's