Thursday, April 5, 2012

John's Garden


One of the things I (Sarah) was looking forward to when moving to Malawi was having a vegetable garden.  While in the states, I knew that I COULD have a garden, I never had the time or motivation to actually start one.  I love the idea of having FRESH veggies that I picked and then could serve for dinner all within an hour!  Well, when we got here to Malawi my gardener John asked me if I wanted him to start a garden. Eagerly, I said yes and gave him some seeds (lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, green peppers etc.)  to plant.  After I handed off the seeds, I promptly forgot all about my garden since I regularly get all of my fruits and vegetables weekly at the local market.  This morning, John told me that the carrots were ready to be picked.  Surprised that a garden was actually growing out in the backyard (can you tell how much time I spend in my yard?!), I took the girls to the garden and saw lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and cilantro all growing and ready to be picked! 

All the credit for the amazing garden goes to John who has spent hours planting, watering and weeding the garden for us.  This afternoon I gave John the first fruits of the garden he has tended.  In the coming few weeks we will certainly enjoy sharing the wonderful fresh vegetables with those around us. 

1 comment:

  1. You certainly did better with your carrots than we did Sarah......er...I mean John.

    ReplyDelete