As we were getting ready to go, several guards approached Charles with a problem. One of the "regulars" from Charles' weekly meetings had been released that week after almost 5 years in that awful place. His name is Jonah. The problem was that the government funds which were to be set aside to transport prisoners home - had been spent elsewhere. He was a free man but he was sleeping on the ground outside the prison's administrative offices because he had nowhere to go. He was free to go - but had nowhere to go and no way to get there.
Jonah literally owned just the clothes on his back and his pockets were completely empty. His home village is a 2 day mini-bus drive (picture a mini-van with 15 adults in it) but he had no way of getting there. I drove Jonah back to our house on the ABC campus and quickly ran inside to grab him some things. I got him a bar of soap, a fist-full of Kwacha (Malawian money) for transport and food, and one other treasure.
2 years ago (almost to the day) I bought a pretty cheap pair of outdoor boots to take with me to Haiti on our churches mission trip. I think I spent $20 on them. Long story short, because of the earthquake in Haiti I didn't end up going. I had intended to pass the boots along to someone else going to Haiti but they got lost in our basement for a while. I found them as we were packing to move to Africa and meant to give them away before we left but somehow they ended up getting packed instead.
I walked outside my front door with those boots and you would have thought that the obnoxious "Extreme Home Makeover" guy just yelled "Move that bus!" Jonah lit up and just stared at them. Odds are he's never received a gift like that in his life. He held on to them like they were better off being hugged than worn on his feet. After a few minutes we put some new(ish) socks on his very swollen feet and put them inside those boots. Charles and one other student helped us lace them up so they were comfortable. When Jonah stood up he walked like Beth (our 1 year old) who just started wearing shoes. He was a little wobbly after not having anything on his feet for such a long time - much less boots with thick soles.
At the end of the day, Jonah wasn't overcome because of the boots, he was overcome by the loving gesture. He didn't know I had plenty more shoes in my closet. He didn't know they weren't "the latest" style of LL Bean boots. I don't even think he knew where he was or really, who I was. He knew he was naked, hungry, sick, and in prison - and that a bumbling stranger cared.
I got WAY more from Jonah than he got from the Hanlons.
wow...that's sad. Jonah's probably really grateful. I think that was really cool.
ReplyDeleteJudah Dishington
Thank you for sharing, Bruce and Sarah. We pray for you daily. - Herb & Shari Bowen
ReplyDeleteOk... thanks for the good cry while at my desk at work!
ReplyDeleteI Love you,
T.