It blows my mind to think that this road we're on is such a well-worn path that has launched countless missionaries into different assignments. I've also been surprised at the level of enjoyment I've had going to different churches. But as joyful as the process is, I'm also amazed that this is how it happens. This is how missions happens. Some people feel a burden to go and other feel a burden to support. And while it's daunting, it's also incredible to watch. I've said many times along this journey that I don't know how people do this who are not pastors. I've been so blessed to be able to call friends and colleagues and ask them if I might have an opportunity to share our story in their churches. Think about all those missionaries out there who knocked on doors or made phone calls that started with, "Hi, my name is .........". Thankfully, most of our contacts have resulted in positive conversations. Although we leave most of the churches we visit not knowing if anyone there will be "with us" when we go (either by praying for us, tracking with us, or financially supporting us) -- it really is an amazing privilege to simply share our story and watch where God moves.

Here's one example of "how it happens". The first church to reach out to us was Faith Bible Chapel in Westerly, Rhode Island (pictured to the right). I knew the Pastor there from years ago at Camp Berea and made contact just to see if there might be any interest. They graciously invited me to come and preach and to share about our story. Sarah had just delivered Beth 2 weeks earlier and so she was unable to come with me but bright and early one Sunday morning last October I set out to drive down to southern R.I. with my stack full of informational folders (lovingly assembled by Sarah) and a clip board for interested people to sign up for email updates.
The place was chock full of welcoming, gracious people who love the Lord and each other so tangibly. After the service a group of people surrounded me asking me questions about ABC and Malawi. I drove home feeling wonderful and amazed at the same time. How could this process result in a family of 4 being able to live in the middle of southern Africa? A few weeks later the Pastor called and said, "We would be honored to support you as a church on a monthly basis." And that was it! That's how it happens. It's not a process that's predictable. Some people never call back. And really that's fine. Our hope and prayer is to have people and churches join with us that have a heart for the ministry we'll be involved in and we realize that it may not be for everyone. Still - we share. God moves in hearts. People respond. And before you know it, the gospel is spreading beyond the borders of one church or even one state and is being carried to places of real need.
The body of Christ is truly a beautiful thing to behold.
No comments:
Post a Comment